Welcome to my Garden Blog

Nature: wild & untouched. Photographing it, preserving it, taking walks and drinking in the landscapes as they unfold.

Gardens: touched by loving hands. Cultivated, nurtured. Drinking in those landscapes is wonderful, as well.

In my garden one enjoys some of both. Generally unpruned & wild, my plants reshape the garden as they grow.

Beyond the garden borders, natives from the Santa Monica Mtns await. Oak trees with their shady canopies. Cactus & Sage in the sun.

Always there are animal creatures to join in the fun.

I look forward to sharing some of my experiences with you as they unfold.

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Tomato Hornworm Caterpillar Arrives


This weekend I was surprised to see my first Garden Pests in my Organic Tomato bed. These caterpillars are so good at disguising themselves.. I think they are super ugly.. My husband thinks they are "cool". (That's because he thinks like a little boy.) Still, can't bring myself to kill them. I have a looked them up, found that they probably can't decimate my entire garden, so for now they get to stay & eat. IF, they promise to turn into butterflies quickly & move along. Manduca quinquemaculata.

1 comment:

  1. I have to agree with your husband - I've always thought they were beautiful, such a great color, too! And you're right, they don't do TOO much damage, although when they decide to chow a tomato they generally wipe it out...I used to have my daughter try and find them (kind of an icky easter egg hunt....)

    ReplyDelete

Wildflowers, Santa Monica Mtns

Wildflowers, Santa Monica Mtns